Tuesday, June 30, 2015

DIY Kitchen Sign

We're enduring a rather hot spell right now and it takes the energy right out of me. So I'm trying to get as much done as possible in the morning hours before we all melt with the afternoon heat.

Last week I finished up a sign for my kitchen.  I love how easy & fun this little project was.

I bought a piece of wood  (pine - approx. 48"in length by 6" wide and 1" deep) from Home Depot.


I first covered the bare wood and brushed on some Wood Conditioner.  This product helps your stain go on evenly.  It's not a must but I recommend it.

Once is was dried I applied a stain (Espresso coloured) overtop. I didn't leave the stain on for very long and then wiped it off with a rag. I love how the stain brings out the grain of the wood.
I could have applied another layer if I wanted it darker but I liked the way it was.


(and no!!  I didn't spill any stain .... that was from other DIY projects)



I let the stain dry for several hours (actually still the next day) and then I brushed on another stain called Pickling.  It's like a whitewash. I wanted to have a grey weather look. (Sorry I don't have a picture of the can. ) But THIS is what I used.
I worked in small sections when I applied this.  Once you 've brushed it on you immediately wipe it off and you'll notice a 'whiter' look to the wood.  IF you're wanting a more whitewashed look then you can leave it on longer.


Once the board was completely dried I applied a stencil that I made using my Silhouette CAMEO and some Stencil material.





I used some white paint overtop of the stencil to fill in each letter.



Before it was completely dry I took off the stencil.
I loved how it turned out.



I then just lightly sanded the edges of the wood and a little bit over the white letters to rough things up a wee bit.






Well that's it.  I've already got a dozen more ideas rolling around in my head and can't wait to get started on them!

Thanks for stopping by today.
Have a great week!!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the details on how to create a whitewash look. Gotta try it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the details on how to create a whitewash look. Gotta try it!

    ReplyDelete